Home Remedies for Sinus Healthdelreysinus
Your sinus health is important to us. Even though Del Rey Sinus & Allergy Institute specializes in the medical treatment of sinus symptoms, we would really like for you to breathe freely all the time, without needing our help!
Here are some simple steps you can take yourself to ensure healthy sinuses, nasal passages and free breathing:
- Rest. It’s a very simple remedy but sleep is a great healer. When you sleep, your body produces more human growth hormone (HGH), which can help you fight infections and recover faster.
- Hydrate. The more you drink, the more your mucous can dilute and drain. Drinks with caffeine or alcohol have a dehydrating effect, which can make your symptoms worse.
- Keep sinus cavities moist. If you inhale while taking a hot shower, or cover your head with a towel as you breathe over a bowl of hot water, you can ease sinus pain and help your sinuses drain better.
- Rinse your nasal passages. Commercially available squeeze bottles or a neti pot can help keep your sinuses flushed and clear. It may take some practice to get proficient at irrigating the sinus cavity. Make sure to use water that is free of contaminants: distilled, boiled and/or filtered.
- Warm compresses. Placing warm and damp (but not wet) towels around the affected areas of your nose, eyes, and cheeks can help relieve pain.
- Elevate your head when you sleep. Keeping your sinuses drained is key to comfort, and this will help with drainage.
- Stay well. Easier said than done, but you want to avoid getting a cold. Avoid people who have colds and wash your hands with soap and warm water often.
- Avoid cigarette smoke and pollution. Any type of tobacco smoke (including that from e-cigs and vape pens) can irritate your nasal and sinus passages.
- Use a humidifier. Especially in the fall and winter months, when the air is particularly dry, a humidifier can help you keep your nasal and sinus passages moist while you sleep or go about your daily life.
- Consider over the counter medication such as antihistamines (claritin, zyrtec, allerga) and/or nasal steroids (Flonase, Nasocourt, or Rhinocort).
For overall ear, nose, throat and sinus health, we are here to help! Check back here and at http://www.delreymd.com for more info.